White Street Market: Vintage Dresser Makeover

Thursday, September 6, 2012

Vintage Dresser Makeover

Welcome to our Monday Makeover!

Tonight, we're featuring one of my favorite redo's to date. This vintage dresser had me at hello :)>. With it's rounded front, fluted sides, and keyholes, I knew it had so much potential. The drawers were all in fabulous shape so the only real "fixing" I did was to the feet. They had some major chunks out of them, so I did a couple of rounds of wood filler and sanding, and they were as good as new!


Here she is before:



I know, I know - isn't she great??

I had a specific color scheme in mind as we were planning a great tan/white vignette for the store (inspired by this Ethan Allen Chair post).

With that in mind, I sanded her down, and applied two coats of Valpsar Honeymilk to the body of the dresser. To achieve the two-tone look, I gave the drawers a couple of coats of Valspar Malted Milk.



I considered putting a nice glaze on it, but didn't want to lose the crispness of the off-white body. I mixed the Malted Milk with some glazing medium, then did a dry brush treatment on it. Basically, you put just a small amount of paint on the tips of the bristles and apply it with quick back and forth strokes until you get the look you want. I wanted a hint of the darker color but did not want the Honeymilk to be covered up.





I also kept the original hardware and gave it a coat of Honeymilk, then a drybrush of Malted Milk.



By now, I'm sure you are wanting this for your own home. Unfortunately, it was the first piece in the store, and it was the first to go! Actually, that should be fortunately :).

We can always create a custom piece for you or refinish one of your cherished pieces.

1 comment :