White Street Market: Stop and Taste the Lemonade

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Stop and Taste the Lemonade

Well helloooo September! Fancy meeting you here at White Street Market where time flies faster than a Midwestern summer.

Gosh, the end of summer is bittersweet for us Illinoisans. Yes, we love our Fall, but oh, that Summer! She is soooo sweet with her flip flops, swimming pools and lemonade stands. I'm not sure anything says “summer” quite like a cluster of sweaty kids passing a long summer’s day selling lemonade from a sidewalk.


I have to admit, I’m a sucker for a good lemonade stand - the sweaty kids, homemade cash registers... all of it. I just can’t resist those little faces – eyes all full of hope as they see a potential customer approaching - as if to say “please, oh please, be a stopper.” If I see little arms waving a wilted 25-cents-a-cup sign, I’m a gone-er. The kid has a toothless grin and dirty barefeet? "I’ll take two cups please, keep the change". If he or she uses manners? "Here’s a ten, please buy something for your mother."

And then I go on my merry way, pretend-drinking my lemonade because most likely, it’s warm and plus, I’m a little bit of germaphobe. Mostly, I feel really good that I stopped. Maybe I made a kid’s day, supported a dream… or funded a stuffed animal collection. Maybe I inspired a budding entrepreneur! Maybe one day, that kid will have a store of her own.


You don’t have to stop at every lemonade stand, but whatever you do, don’t be the dud that drives right on by without even smiling. Throw the peace sign. Give a thumbs up. Shout out, "Way to chase your dreams, kids!"

And whenever it's possible, be a "stopper" and enjoy the lemonade. :)




No comments :

Post a Comment